Thursday, February 26, 2009

Christian Advertising

My wife's clock radio is set for 91.5 - Bott Radio Network. So every morning I hear some of the preaching that comes over the airwaves. But I also hear advertisements for businesses in the St. Louis area. Occasionally, I'll hear one of these business claim to be a Christ-centered, or Christian run business. I wonder, is this a good idea?

Why would a business promote itself as a Christ-centered business? Since these ads are on a Christian radio show, they may assume that Christians would trust that business more and be more inclined to do business with them. Okay. Maybe. Do we need them to claim this or is their presence on the station enough? Also, does this same business promote itself as a Christ-centered business when they advertise on a secular radio station?

Many Christian-owned businesses put the fish symbol on billboards or print advertisements. I think even most non-Christians in the US know what this symbol means. Is this a wise move?

What if it turns away non-Christians? That is a missed opportunity to witness and show the love of Christ by being a trustworthy business to a non-Christian.

And what about follow-through?. I've done business with one company that advertised on Bott Radio Network and I won't do business with them again. It's not that they displayed non-Christian behavior, but they just weren't that good at what they did. Was my expectation too high? Was my assumption that if this is a Christian run business I should expect high quality a bad one?

And what about that business who advertises as a Christ-centered business and not all their employees exhibit Christ-like behavior? What does this say to the non-Christian?

Here are some verses that tangentially address the vague point I'm trying to make.

Proverbs 10:2 - Ill-gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death.
Proverbs 15:27 - He who profits illicitly troubles his own house, But he who hates bribes will live.
These two are pretty obvious. If someone is advertising as a "Christ-centered" business just to get Christian business, but they don't really live up to those values, then may God have mercy on them.

1Corinthians 9:14-15 - So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel. But I have used none of these things And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case; for it would be better for me to die than have any man make my boast an empty one.

These verses are a more subtle, but where I would apply this to business is if a business advertises themselves as a Christ-centered business, they better deliver, both in terms of quality and behavior of their employees. Otherwise, it becomes an empty boast and the Gospel message is corrupted. So, why boast at all? A good quality product and Christ-like service / behavior will be blessed by God and thus they should not have to promote themselves as "serving the Master" (one way I've heard it). It should be obvious to anyone that does business with them.

But on the other hand...

Philippians 1:18 - What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice,

What do you think? I'd love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment