Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dan Brown's Conspiracies

Since "Angels and Demons" is in the theaters, I thought I'd re-post this blog of mine from 2006. I had originally posted it on MySpace.

“Those who truly understand their faith, understand the stories are metaphorical.” Robert Langdon in “The Da Vinci Code.”

“Religious allegory has become a part of the fabric of reality. And living in that reality helps millions of people cope and be better people.” Robert Langdon in “The Da Vinci Code.”

The statements above are but two of the idiotic things that issue from the misinformed, pseudo-intellectual mouth of Dan Brown’s character, historian Robert Langdon, in the FICTIONAL book, “The Da Vinci Code.” I don’t know about anyone else reading this, but I don’t believe in a metaphor. I believe in a living, physical God. The apostle Thomas didn’t believe in a metaphor, either. And he didn’t put his hand in the wound of a metaphor. He put his hand in the wound of the resurrected, and very real Jesus Christ.

Just because we don’t see something, doesn’t make it a metaphor. But, to cut unbelievers a break, this is the way they must explain things like true faith. You see, in their pseudo-logical and falsely rational minds, they just can’t believe that anyone would be gullible enough to believe that a man violated the laws of nature and walked on water. Or that a woman had a baby without having had sex. Therefore, they conclude, these things must be metaphors or allegories or stories to represent what we want to believe since we can’t face the harsh reality that we are all nothing but biological entities that live by instincts and then die into nothingness.

Hmm. Actually, the ones that believe in metaphors are those that chase after money, power, fame. These are metaphors, allegories, fables. For they never satisfy. They are ever elusive and never fully obtained. No matter how high a person climbs in wealth, power, or fame, they always want to climb higher. The top of the ladder is truly a metaphor.

But again, I have to cut atheists and agnostics a break because I was once where they are. I used to believe that religion, all religion, and yes, especially Christianity was nothing but a crutch for those who needed something to believe in, who needed a reason for their miserable, pathetic lives. The simple seeking of pleasure and self-centeredness that I had apparently wasn’t enough for some people, so they believed in fables, in a mythical God.

Or, those who had strong faith were those who had troubles in their lives that they just couldn’t explain or wouldn’t take responsibility for, so they “blamed” a supernatural power and clung to the myth that God had everything in control.

That was then, this is now. So, what happened? Did I have one of those experiences? Did tragedy strike and I needed a lifeline to cling to? Did I wake up one day and realize the pointlessness of my life? Sorry, Mr. Atheist, no such deal. The meaninglessness of my previous life only occurred to me after I realized that Jesus Christ was and is real and that He is who He says He is. My selfishness, my living only for myself didn’t drive me to Christ. No, Christ made me realize that’s who I was. There was no reason, other than the Bible is the truth, that I gave my life to Christ. Sorry, Mr. Pseudo-intellectual, but it was through rational, logical thought and study that I came to Christ.

It’s really sad to read a book like “The Da Vinci Code” and realize the world is populated with people like Robert Langdon, so anchored in what they think is reality that anything outside their pseudo-rational thought is simply fable, allegory, myth, or legend.

Our God is a rational God. He is a logical God. And when one studies the Bible and other historical documents, one can only come to this conclusion.

There’s a reason why the conspiracy in “The Da Vinci Code” has never come to light and never held any water. It’s not because the church is all-powerful and has squashed those who supposedly know the truth. No, it’s because The Truth is Jesus Christ and the conspiracy within Dan Brown’s mind is nothing but that, a fictional conspiracy.


1 comment:

  1. i saw angels and demons, it had the same feel to it, but wasnt AS anti-religion as the first.

    it had a decent message in pointing out that science and religoin arent at war with each other, but it still had the "Robert Langdon knows all" aditude

    ReplyDelete